Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Upon the Gears

I've been getting a kinda "fuck the system" vibe recently. Hah, me? Shake off the chains of society?

I hate the College Board. Nothing against the people, yet, just against the institution. The SAT sucks. It's not even a reliable measure of the aptitude it claims to measure. It measure socioeconomic status, and that's it. Of course I'm exaggerating the point, I always do. But seriously, what the fuck? If you can afford SAT prep classes, you take them, and you get a better score as a result. The SAT, hell, the ACT, which is also made by the College Board -- they utterly fail at distilling academic ability into a single number. Why do universities even use this shit? Not to mention the cost. The Board has a monopoly on the standardized test market and milks the fuck out of us for it.

Did I mention Advanced Placement classes and tests? Motive: educate students at a higher level. Is that what's happening? Maybe. Maybe not. What I see? AP prepares us for the college application rather than college. Cram and cram a college course into high school, make them take a single test as a measure of their skill in the course, and BAM. Knowledge learned and forgotten. The AP system simply becomes another few bonus points in the pockets of 'motivated' students on their application.

This has become, essentially, a disorganized rant. I'll end it now. People are dicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment